Date Ariane is Now A Real Game
I have gone ahead and released Date Ariane in Renpy. This is like the ultimate edition of the game that has been a dream since I started working on Something’s In The Air. All the favorite moments are here on a format that is faster and smoother than ever before.
I have temporarily taken down the online version. My web traffic has increased 40% with the better graphics version and I could almost never get into my own website. Since I don’t rely on advertising, traffic is not that important to me.
Now when you go to arianeb.com/dategame.htm you get a website where you can download the game. I made it available in Windows, Mac, and Linux, and there is an experimental Android version which I have no idea how to use. You can still download the offline HTML version.
What’s so cool about the Renpy Version?
Aside from the obvious, no more “page not available” errors, you can now save games, auto advance, go back much more reliably, skip whole sections you have seen before, hear actual music when you dance which you can customize if you want, and the game is full of immersive sound effects as well.
Go to the options screen and you can turn on hints, go full screen, and turn off music and sound effects if you want.
A lot of this stuff is available on the lower right corner of the screen. Try clicking on “Auto”, it is probably the funnest way to play. you can control the speed of the auto advance in Options. The lower right menu is very helpful if you are on a tablet as well.
Anything else new?
There is also some new content, the majority being expanded scenes that existed before, especially in the museum, night club, and dress shop. There is a short new “ice cream” scene, an a new little dance puzzle at the night club. The museum and nightclub play a little differently depending on what Ariane is wearing.
There are also a handful of little surprises I won’t spoil.
I also added a new character, a pizza delivery man named Evan. An online friend for 12 years named Evan Kirk recently passed away suddenly, and as a tribute, I have immortalized him as an NPC.
Like me, he was way more famous online than off, with a sharp twisted sense of humor and a community leader. He was a gay dude from Alabama which he joked about all the time.
This is not a picture of him, this is a young Chris Pratt, who he idolized and used as his avatar. My tribute NPC uses the “Chris Pratt” look, which he would have appreciated.
The Gallery of Achievements
One of the things that people enjoyed about Something’s In The Air was the gallery of endings and trying to fill out the character notebooks.
That really won’t work with Date Ariane as there are basically only two endings, a kiss goodnight, or getting kicked out of the house.
Instead, I went the traditional route and created 78 “achievements” for you to try and achieve. They range from easy and obvious, which you will probably pick up naturally, to some spectacular failures, which some of you may get naturally as well but veterans may not realize are there. There are also some hard ones that require some knowledge of the game mechanics to complete.
Speaking of game mechanics, besides the reliance of traits explained here, there is actually now a scoring mechanism. When Ariane says “On a scale from 1 to 10, you get a _”, that score is a real value, not just something made up like it used to be. This score is used to calculate some of the achievements.
Once you complete an achievement, open up the gallery, and click on the name to see why you earned it. There are some other cool “extras” in the gallery.
Here are the names of the 78 achievements, with some notes on the harder ones. You can probably figure out the rest by their name:
1. kiss (1, 10, 50, 100, 500, 1000)
2. sex (1, 10, 50, 100, 500, 1000)
3. date (1, 10, 50, 100, 500, 1000)
4. All 5 Dinners
2. Couch Sex
3. Six Pack
5. Dance Champion (dance at home until she won’t anymore, then dance at the nightclub)
6. Three Naked In Bed (a Rebecca achievement)
7. The Quickie
8. Green Fairy
9. Ariane Owes You A Favor
10. Lucky Spin
11. Impromptu Strip Show
12. Kitchen Disrobe
13. Cheap Thrills (before dinner touch her boob, then walk in on her while changing)
14. Boobie Prize
1. Hide and Seek
2. Hot Sex
3. Hand Job (involves the hot tub)
4. Wet Clothes
5. Backyard Play
6. Steal From Rebecca
7. Wrong Breast (lose at Marco Polo)
8. You Got Mail
9. Swim Champ
10. Underwater Explorer
11. Voyage to the Moon
12. Squeeze Play
1. Designated Driver
3. Trivia Buff
4. Devil In A Blue Dress
5. Topless Model
6. Bottomless Model
7. Twinkle Toes (win the new dance game without cheating)
8. Art Expert
9. Rebecca Shirtless
10. Let’s Go To The Mall (finish dinner at home with extra “nice” points and then let Ariane drive to town)
11. Shopping Spree
12. Downtown Nudity (a multi date achievement involving different locations)
1. Nude Pics in the Park
2. Shutterbug (all 5 versions of the park photoshoot over many dates)
3. Three for Three (Ariane has to hit all 3 of hers, too)
4. Air Ball
5. Nice Uniforms
6. Naked Ball
7. Great Outdoors
8. Playing Without Pants
9. Playing Without Clothes
10. Naked Beer Run
11. Well Protected (involves buying lots of condoms)
12. Ice Cream Run
1. Ski Trip
2. Moonlight Serenade
3. Wet Dress
4. Head Stand
Scenic View Achievements
1. Moon for the Camera
2. True Artist
3. Money Shot
4. Blow Job
5. Kiss Where it Counts
1. Amateur Night Victory
2. Win Without Nudity
3. Live Sex Act
4. Two Nude Dancers
5. A Dirty Mind
1. Casual Date (finish a successful date without changing clothes)
2. Friendly Date (finish a successful date “as friends”)
4. Kiss you all over
5. Sex Endurance
6. Not So Smart (get a perfect 10 date without the “smart” trait)
7. Not So Sexy (get a perfect 10 date without the “sexy” trait)
8. Not So Nice (get a perfect 10 date without the “nice” trait)
9. Not So Funny (get a perfect 10 date without the “funny” trait)
10. Exceeding Expectations (finish a successful date with only two traits)
Any other hints to playing?
The walkthroughs have now been updated to the Renpy version.