Date Ariane HD

hdtitle

In honor of Renpy version 7 finally being released, I’m releasing Date Ariane, one of the most downloaded Renpy games ever (5.9 million downloads all versions combined), in Renpy 7 and in HD.

The images are all 1500×900, originally rendered when I did the graphics update in 2017. Add in the 180px black bottom part and the total resolution is 1500×1080. It looks really good blown up on a full sized monitor.  The Renpy engine automatically changes the fonts when you change the size so they always look sharp and crisp.

hdcompare

I know some questions are going to come up so here are my answers:

What versions of the game are available in HD?

For now just the English PC, Mac, and Linux versions.

What has changed?

The section which used to be called the gallery moved to the main menu and many of the gallery sections have been rewritten to work better in Renpy 7.  This includes a new animated credit sequence, and a help sequence that points out the key binds of Renpy better, allowing play via Keyboard, Mouse, or Gamepad.

I’ve taken advantage of Renpy’s background/foreground tools to change the look of some scenes, primarily the bad endings. This reduced the number of images, but because foreground requires images in larger png files, it did not reduce the size of the download.

I’ve gotten rid of the “button” look of the player choices.  Larger screen means the buttons don’t have to be obvious.

How do I download it?

You download it from the same download page as before. When you pick to download the Windows, Mac or Linux versions, you get the HD versions instead.

How big is the download?

Download size has increased from 180MB to 340MB due to larger images, many of which are in png format instead of jpg.

Are you going to release it in other languages?

I would love to if I can figure out a way to move the translations to the new version. That’s actually very difficult.

Are you going to release it in android?

No. The game is already a challenge on android at 200MB, the increase to 350MB would make it unplayable on most android devices, and the smaller screens cannot take advantage of the increased resolution.

Is there any new material in this version?

Yes, but you’ll have to find it yourself.

Why do some of the walkthroughs not work with the HD version?

To make the game a little challenging, there is a rule that if you engage in intimacy too early, like open with a kiss, or try for second base while dancing before eating, then Ariane might reconsider her opinion of you later and change the outcome of the walkthrough. I have updated “Pizza Dinner”, “Steak Dinner”, and “Start of a romantic evening” to avoid early intimacy.

UPDATE: For Mac Users

If you use a Mac to play I added an icns file which should replace the generic Renpy icon with a proper Date Ariane icon. If it worked, leave a comment.

19 thoughts on “Date Ariane HD

1. Christopher Higgins September 17, 2018 / 4:36 am

I have already downloaded the 2017 version on Febuary 20, 2018. Would I need to have it updated or uninstall and reinstall or do nothing.

• arianeb September 17, 2018 / 4:43 am

If you want the HD graphics you will need to re-install. There is no “update” feature. This HD version has been up for a week, dated September 9th. I only announced it in the blog today, Info was in the build notes this past week and nobody noticed, though there were 2000 downloads this week.

2. Carlos September 17, 2018 / 6:48 am

I just made the download, but when I try to unzip a message saying that the archive is corrupted shows up. Please help, friend!

• arianeb September 17, 2018 / 7:11 am

Some people experience this, I have not been able to pin it down, unless there is something wrong with the download servers. I just now tested it and it is fine.
      Could also be the program you are using to extract the zip file with. I use the native Windows 10: Just right click the DateArianeHD-win.zip file and select Extract All… and tell it what directory to put it in. “7-Zip” likes the file, too. https://www.7-zip.org/

• Carlos September 18, 2018 / 5:49 am

Still not working here 😥

I tried the 7-Zip, but when the extract completes, some error message appears there:

1 C:\Users\…\DateArianeHD-win.zip
        Headers Error
        Unconfirmed start of archive
        Warnings:
        There are some data after the end of the payload area
        2 Data error: DateArianeHD-win\game\archive.rpa

And the .exe don’t work too. Any clue?

• Faza Faza September 18, 2018 / 7:57 am

I am having the excact same problem. Can you please look into it further?

• Olivia V. September 20, 2018 / 10:13 am

In my case, the download inexplicably cuts out early at 339 mb… if the file is 340 mb, then a cut-off download will register as corrupt.

3. ZelLbI September 17, 2018 / 10:56 pm

Nice to see this game in HD! Looking forward to Ariane in paradise.

4. Charles Hinkle September 19, 2018 / 12:22 am

I was hoping this would be updated to let you play as female.

5. Olivia V. September 20, 2018 / 9:25 am

So this isn’t the “play as female” update? 😀 Can’t wait for that one, lol!

6. Marcelo September 20, 2018 / 6:09 pm

Ariane will be forever in my heart and she opened my VN/Dating Sim era!!
    Nice to have a new upgrade to the game!

7. Phillipi Silva September 22, 2018 / 10:33 am

I play all photo in game?

8. Raphael Wolfe September 23, 2018 / 12:22 am

Some photos are missing :/ Will test it tomorrow fully but right now one of couch photos is absent.

• arianeb September 23, 2018 / 1:59 am

If you are comparing old pictures to new via directory, there are many that aren’t there anymore, if you get a missing image error while playing, I want to know about it.

• Raphael Wolfe September 23, 2018 / 8:48 pm

Yeah, the missing image error while playing :/ I’ll try to come up with a list of those when I get more time to play which will be next weekend probably.

9. Dave S September 30, 2018 / 1:00 pm

Has the game play changed with the new version? Following the walk-through I developed with the old version does not work on the new.

10. Animadoria October 4, 2018 / 1:49 pm

The Mac icons are working.

11. Charles Hinkle October 13, 2018 / 10:09 pm

I can’t even open the folder because my computer keeps saying “the compressed folder is invalid.”