Hopepunk City Case File: The Marketplace
Every week you go to the marketplace to buy something. Hopepunk City has a simple economic system, and it does not keep track of “moolas” or have prices. The system is based on what you can afford, and what you can afford is based on how much you have earned. Higher wages gives you access to pricier things to buy.
The limit is set at one purchase per week, and access to the market ends in week 12. (Hint: When you see the Dinky and the Cat scene — you must own a cat to see it — the next trip to the market will be your last.) You can buy most everything you need in that time, so there isn’t a point in going past that point.
Here then is a list of items, when you can get them and what value they have, along with associated achievements.
Cheap Stuff for yourself (Available week 1 to 6. After week 1, requires earned wages of at least 1)
- “Augmented Reality Phone Game” – Fun way to get exercise, need to do it for two weeks to get fully in shape
- “Exercise video” – Faster way to get in shape, and the only way to exercise at night if you have a day job. You can run for free but only during daylight hours.
- “Porn Video” – Fun way to relax, but actually blocks access to friend points you get from relaxing with friends.
- *Achievement Video Collector Buy both the exercise video and the porn video during the same game
“Gifts for Roommates” (After week 1, requires earned wages of at least 1)
- “A nice dinner for everybody” Takeout chicken dinner adds 1 like point to Ariane, Rachel, and Maya. Can be bought multiple times throughout the game.
“Job Training” (After week 1, requires earned wages of at least 1, limited to two trainings unless interest is outdoors)
- “Learn Technology Kit” Two weeks of training to learn technology and open up jobs requiring it
- “Learn Cooking Kit” Two weeks of training to learn cooking and open up jobs requiring it
- “Learn Security Kit” Two weeks of training to learn security protocols and open up jobs requiring it
“Advanced Training” (After week 6 or after training in two skills. Must own a TV, and must have an interest in Art, Science, or community)
- “Learn Climate Science Kit” One week training, must have an interest in science, and trained in technology
- “Learn Solar Power Kit” One week training, must have an interest in science or community, and trained in technology
- “Learn Statistics Kit” One Week training, must have interest in science or community
- “Learn Photography Kit” One week training, must have interest in art, not available in easy (censored) mode
- *Achievement True Scholar Train in three things during the course of one game
“Check out more expensive items” Access this menu after earned wages is at least three (typically week 3)
“Stuff for yourself” (requires earned wages of at least 3)
- “TV Monitor” Reduces two week trainings to one week, get two like points from Ariane, watch news or porn (requires video) when relaxing in your room
- “Video Game System” Play video games when you relax, get two like points from Rachel, Rachel plays games with you if you have a TV, comes with augmented reality goggles allowing augmented reality games on the street adding random likes with roommates (or Dinky) every time you play.
- “Fitness Membership” You join a gym so you don’t have to schedule exercise to keep jobs requiring physical fitness
“Small Gifts for Roommates” (requires earned wages of at least 3, can only buy one small gift for one roommate)
- “Buy cheap gift for Ariane” Adds 3 like points to Ariane
- “Buy cheap gift for Rachel” Adds 3 like points to Rachel
- “Buy cheap gift for Maya” Adds 3 like points to Maya
“Check out the selection of luxury items.” Access this menu after earned wages is at least 8 (typically week 5 or 6)
“Stuff for yourself” (requires earned wages of at least 8)
- “Queen Size Bed” Required purchase to advance past week 8, adds 1 like point to Ariane, Rachel, and Maya.
- “Adopt a cat” Adds cat to your room, adds 2 like points to Maya
- “Relaxation Spa Membership” You join a spa so you don’t have to schedule relax time to keep jobs requiring rest. Includes three guest passes, one each for you roommates gaining like points, happens randomly
- *Achievement Full Room Buy bed, tv, video game and cat to fill your bedroom
- *Achievement Membership Dues Buy both the gym membership and the spa membership
- *Achievement Everyone to the Spa Get all three roommates to use their spa guest passes (buying spa pass early will usually get you this achievement)
“Large Gifts for Roommates” (requires earned wages of at least 8, can only buy one large gift for one roommate)
- “Buy big gift for Ariane” Adds 6 like points to Ariane
- “Buy big gift for Rachel” Adds 6 like points to Rachel
- “Buy big gift for Maya” Adds 6 like points to Maya
- *Achievement It’s the Thought that Counts Reach week 9 (and become permanent roommate) without purchasing any cheap or big gifts
“Don’t Buy Anything” Shows up after week 9, skips your turn at the market